Friday, September 25, 2009

Reading life.

Last night was Top Ramen with egg dinner, only the first of many, I'm sure. That's when I really, finally felt like I was back in school. I don't know that I'd had that combo since undergrad, while living in Irvine, which does make it a decade ago. I like to think that I've graduated from lentils-and-ranch to lentils-and-yogurt for cheap eats, but only time will tell.

Yesterday should have been my first seminar, but its conflict with the walkout/teach-in (@ a UC, yes) led the instructor to delay a week, with a make-up session to follow sometime later this quarter. I did not brave the heat and evil daystar for the demonstration, but instead did my reading. Middle English is not a fast read, generally. In class, I realized I definitely needed to give myself more lead time on readings (finish no later than the Tuesday before) in order to review everything again to develop some commentary. Even though I'm taking it as a seminar, I might do response papers for the first few weeks just to get myself into the swing of things, and ease the transition back into school.

Of course, I have readings to do for other classes, but now I have a pile of other potentially relevant works that I need to peruse to see if they have any insightful contributions to make to Machaut, Chaucer, Ovid, etc. Meh.

One thing I hope to get a handle on very soon is sleep. As in, doing it at the right time, for a long enough time. This also helps one brain better, as it can keep away the dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment