Thursday, October 8, 2009

Grad School: The Burrowing-In

Since last post (um, whenever that was), have attended each class twice. Going from one seminar and 2 proseminars to 2 seminars and one proseminar. This is a big leap, but the course on literary theory is just too fascinating not to want to dig in. It does mean ~52+ pp. of writing this quarter, rather than ~32 pp., and two oral presentations, but so it goes.

Though the reading has been part of the problem, there was also a hectic, heavily social beginning of quarter, including an all-day SD trip, and a sick husband. This biggest issue with the readings, however, has not been the quantity, but the media, specifically, PDFs. Oh, and my dept. doesn't cover printing for its fellowship people, only TAs (which begins next year). And the bulk of the critical readings for two of the courses (Faulkner & Chaucer)... PDFs. I haven't quite wrapped my head around how the on-campus printing works, but I have yet to replace the ink cartridges for our home printer, so I've mostly been reading the digital copies and not having any print version on-hand in class. This is not so smrt.

I'm building up to a system for handling this, but in the interim, bleah. I know it's all the rage to save the trees and have a laptop for notes and pulling up PDFs in-class, etc., but, well, that's just not how I roll. I'm all old skool with the taking notes by hand and scribbling in margins and underlining key passages of everything in pencil.

Other than that, I have a headache and one seminar left for the week. The one with the most PDFs. After that, weekend. I hope I can actually get on top of the reading for next week starting Sunday; until there is a paper at hand, I'm thinking my Saturdays should be reserved for maintaining that much-touted "work-life balance," which currently means leveling my orc shaman in WoW. Oh, and maybe some laundry. Trip to Target. That sort of crazy fun. Whee.

No comments:

Post a Comment