Monday, August 15, 2011

Productivity: Still for suckers!

I did actually finish something:  All my recent bargain hardcover acquisitions from Amazon on The Problems of Modern Psychiatry and Psychopharmacology.  It only took me roughly 3 months to finish four books.  Granted, I also polished off, um, some other book, I think, maybe, or at least started the Frozen Earth one by the UCSD emeritus professor of earth science.  And I perused several knitting books (seriously, because how on earth do you otherwise find the techniques most relevant to your current ad hoc project? you don't just flip through--you examine!).

I started in on 3-4 fantasy novels, and stalled on them all, not because they were bad, but because my narrative follow-through is still lacking.

I have managed to level a third character to 80, and get a second to 84.  Getting across the finish line with the latter will be a bit of a struggle, even though my husband is done with his latest frenzied campaign to catch up on his dissertation work (revising a program for the experiments he should be running any day now).  The kiddo, he crawls, and as such, he requires more focused attention.  Shitty pregnancy + early delivery + way too much time to, from or at NICU + ZOMG baybee in the home = child-proofing, not so much.  The real ad hoc business is our collective effort to avert our son's unwitting forays into clear danger or other bad things (like getting into the dirty diapers).  This means slacking any more creatively than Mah Johng Titans or logging on briefly to fiddle with crafting shit in WoW is beyond me much of the day.  On top of this, he's in full separation anxiety mode, so that only my husband or I can hold him without tears pouring forth, unless we are calm, focused, and within an arm's length on the same piece of furniture.

Eventually, I hope to live in a home where we can have a room dedicated to our son or children in general, and give him/them free rein to move around while I can sit, supervising with a book in hand.  I know, I can only dream, because it won't happen.  I'll figure some work-around, somehow.  In the mean time, well, I'm obviously stealing some time, or I wouldn't have finished anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment